Personal Tax Return Service Canada

T1- Personal Tax Return

Types of tax credits:

Non-refundable tax rebates can reduce the amount of tax you owe; for example, you can get a tax bonus on gifts and donations. Refundable tax rebates can reduce the amount of tax you owe but are also available if you don’t owe any taxes. The benefits can help with various living costs, such as child-rearing, housing, loss of income, and health care costs.

Filing a tax return without any exception:

Whether you are 9 or 90, age has no effect on your tax return. If you meet any of the above requirements, CRA expects to receive a tax return from you. Students are also not exempt from submitting. If your 20-year-old is an entrepreneur who earned over $ 3,500 (after expenses) running a small business last summer, he or she must file a tax return while still in school. All working children should file a tax return as soon as they start earning.

Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT)

In addition to the normal tax calculation, individuals are required to calculate adjusted taxable income and include certain “tax preference” elements that are otherwise deductible or exempted in the calculation of regular taxable income. The taxpayer then pays whatever is higher of the current tax or AMT. Taxpayers who’re required to pay the AMT are entitled to credit in future years when their regular tax liability exceeds the AMT level for that year. If the adjusted taxable income goes above the minimum tax exemption of CAD 40,000, a combined federal and provincial/territorial rate of approximately 25% will be applied to the excess, resulting in AMT.

Tax on children

A minor who receives a certain passive income under an income-sharing agreement is taxed at the highest combined federal/provincial marginal rate (i.e., up to 54%), called the “child tax.” Personal tax relief other than dividends, disability, and foreign tax relief or other deductions cannot be applied to reduce child tax.

Information on income tax

You can pay taxes on your income. The amount you pay depends on the income you earn per year. You can reduce or eliminate the amount of income tax you have to pay by applying for tax credits and certain expenses. For example, a basic personal amount, a non-refundable tax credit, allows each Canadian resident to earn more than $ 10,000 per year before income tax is due.

How income tax works

Federal and Provincial income taxes are paid to the Canadian Tax Agency (CRA), which is part of the federal government. Income tax is usually deducted from the employer’s salary or pension and sent directly to the CRA. You may need to calculate the tax due and submit a CRA payment.

You must file a tax return with the CRA every year for:

  1. Declare the income earned
  2. Make sure you pay the correct amount of income tax
  3. Access to tax credits and concessions

Should I file my taxes?

Filing your taxes on time is necessary for many reasons. For instance, if a student wants to apply for a loan at their university then they need information from their tax returns and that of either the parent or spouse in order to complete the application process. File your taxes early to get a head-start on the filing process. This will give you time to access all of this essential information and also lets you pocket that tax refund earlier than everyone else! A personal tax accountant is a great way to save both time and money. You can avoid wasting hours of your precious free time on trying to figure out all the minutiae about taxes, while an expert does that for you. At the same time, they will tell you about any potential savings or deductions which might be available based on your income so as not miss any tips before filing those returns at year’s end!

You must submit your tax return if:

If you owe tax to the CRA.

  • You are self-employed and must pay Canadian Retirement Plan (CPP) premiums.
  • The same applies to the payment of professional insurance (EI) premiums from self-employment income.
  • You and your spouse/partner want to distribute your retirement income.
  • You have participated in a Home Buyer Plan (HBP) or a Lifelong Learning Plan (LLP) and have installments to pay.
  • You got rid of your capital assets. If you have sold your house, you must file a tax return, even if you don’t have to pay any capital gains tax (CGT) on the sale (this is referred to as the primary residence exemption).
  • You must reimburse all your benefits in old age or in employee insurance
  • During the tax period, you received advances to the Canadian Workers’ Benefit (CWB).
  • The CRA sent you a request for a file.
  • If the CRA has sent you a request to file, it means that they are serious about your lack of submission, and you should be more able to do so.

Do I still have to file a tax return if I have a refund?

Even if you are not required to apply, it is sometimes in your interest to do so for the following reasons; you may need to file for a refund.

  • The records in your tax return determine whether you are eligible for certain federal and provincial benefit programs. Even if you have earned no income, you may still be eligible for GST / HST credit or provincial benefits such as the Ontario Trillium Benefit. Here you will be able to find a complete list of provincial grant programs.
  • Your RRSP contribution limit will start accruing as soon as you earn any income. While you don’t expect a refund, the larger RRSP’s contribution room, the better.
  • If you wish to claim Canadian Employee Benefit (CWB) or continue to receive Canadian Child Allowance (CCB)
  • If you went to school and are eligible for college tuition, you must declare the amounts on your tax return; regardless of your intent to use them. You may not need to use the credits this year, but to transfer or transfer them, they must be listed on your current tax return.
  • If you or your spouse wish to continue receiving a Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) for Old Age Insurance (OSA) payments.

Tax return deadline:

When it comes to tax season, many individuals begin to panic and try to get their taxes into their accountant before the deadline of April 30th each year. Both the new tax return and one’s payments from the previous year have to be made before or on April 30th if a person wants to avoid all the possible penalties that come with not paying your taxes on time. If a person is unfortunate enough to miss the deadline they do not have to worry. They can get in touch with an expert accountant who will be able to guide them on the next steps to take so that they do not upset the CRA. As a Canadian, it is very important that a person remains on the same page as the CRA.

Worried about ITR filing after the due date?

Let Calgary Tax Consulting experts file your belated return & claim your tax.


CTC Services

Calgary Tax Consulting is a full-service accounting firm committed to providing a wide range of tax services.
It’s nice to know that in the event of an audit you have a company that is on your side and at no extra cost.
By understanding where you’ve been and what your goals are for the future.
A Review of your Bookkeeping Practices
Do you know what your financial statements are really telling you?